Use multiple participant groups to segregate your participants into distinct groups for between-subjects designs, screening, branching and merging.
Setting the number of participant groups
To set the number of participant groups in a study, use the participant group input on the study screen.
Allocating participants to groups
A participant can be allocated to a specific group in the following ways:
- Random selection (default). Participants will be randomly allocated to one of the available participant groups by default. To control participant group allocation, use one of the below methods.
- URL parameter. Participants can be allocated to a specific group by appending the
pspg parameter to the study link. For example, https://www.psychstudio.com/s/987?pspg=2 will allocate the participant to Group 2.
- Trials and questionnaire logic. Participants can be allocated to a specific group based on trials and questionnaire logic. This allows allocation based on trial performance or screening criteria in a questionnaire. The logic used to allocate participants can be as simple or as complex as you need.
Directing participants through your study
Using participant groups to direct the flow of participants through your study can be achieved in the following ways:
- Trial block. Assigning participant groups to specific trial blocks.
- Sequence. Assigning participant groups to specific sequences.
- Trials and questionnaire logic. Participants can be directed through your study by trials and questionnaire logic. This allows participants to be directed to different parts of your study based on participant group. The logic used to direct participant flow can be as simple or as complex as you need and can involve aspects of trial performance and/or responses to a questionnaire.